COVID-19 Resources for TEC Families - Spring/Summer 2020
Letters To Our Families
- Letter to Families March 2, 2020
- Letter to Families March 12, 2020
- Update to Families March 13 2020
- TEC High School overview of educational support to students, families and staff
- TEC Phoenix Academy overview of educational support to students, families, and staff
- TEC Campus School overview of educational support to students, families, and staff
- TEC Campus School overview of educational support to students, families and staff updated 4-2-20
- Letter to Families April 2, 2020
- April Vacation will be observed April 20 - 24th, 2020
- All TEC Programs will remain closed through the end of the school year per Governor Baker's order on 4/21/20
- Letter to Families June 5, 2020
- Letter to Families June 17, 2020
- Letter to Families June 26, 2020
- Letter to Families July 16, 2020
- Reopening Massachusetts Schools - a video from DESE
- TEC meeting with Families 7-29-20
- DESE Return to School Together Resources
- Initial K-12 Reopening Guide for Families
- DESE Back to School Video
- DESE Notice of School Closure
- DESE Letter to Families regarding Remote Learning
- Helpful Links - Educational Resources for Students and Families from DESE and Mass.gov COVID-19 Resources
- EAP - Resource for dealing with stress during the COVID-19 pandemic
- DESE COVID-19 Information Resources
- Commissioner of Education's Weekly Updates
- Visit our Wellness section to read our Nursing Newsletters.
Resources for Learning
- TEC Campus School Video Library for Students and Families
COVID-19 Health and Safety Training
How is TEC providing Remote Learning to your child?
- CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD TEC'S REMOTE LEARNING PLAN UPDATED 5-14-20
- CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD TEC'S REMOTE LEARNING PLAN
All of TEC's programs are utilizing an Extended Closure Student Planning Form to personalize learning throughout this emergency closure period. The form is shared with families and students and communicates:
- A list of all of the Team Members providing remote learning services to your child including their name, role and email address
- Critical Activities Specific to each student's needs
- Guidance on how to work on goals in a modified format at home
- Specific goals based on your child's IEP
- Other activities suggested by the Team Members will be included in your child's daily and weekly schedule
- A list of equipment in the home, loaned from school
- A detailed Communication Log noting the date, team member, forum and overview of the interaction with the student or family
What Can You and Your Child Expect?
Although we know that remote learning cannot replace students’ experiences in school, our teachers, specialists and support staff have worked hard to help all students to continue their learning during this extended period. TEC teachers are skilled in the use of online classroom tools such as Google Classroom, and a variety of assistive technologies. Throughout the school year teachers regularly integrate online content from our trusted partners such as Pearson Online and Blended Learning, Gradpoint and eDynamics, and will continue to do so. Our staff is dedicated to your child and has been working in integrated teams to create meaningful and productive remote learning experiences based on personalized learning goals for each student.
During this period of national and state public health emergency estimated to continue through May 4, 2020, special education services for you child will look different. TEC staff members have developed an individualized Remote Learning Plan for each student. This plan is not an IEP amendment, and as the TEC staff continues to develop and improve remote learning opportunities your child’s plan may be modified.
What can you expect? Special education and related services will be provided remotely through virtual, online or telephonic instructions. Learning will include supports and resources for independent learning that will include academic content, homework assignments and project-based learning opportunities with accommodations your child needs. Instruction and services will be delivered remotely in whole group and small group settings, or individually. TEC has distributed Chromebooks and personal equipment to our families. If you are still in need of equipment, please let your child’s teacher know.
Your child will participate in a blend of teacher (and related service provider) led (live) and teacher (and related service provider) created (not live) self-directed learning experiences including:
- Live Session - Specific times to be ‘live’ with a member of their classroom team shared with you on your child's Extended Closure Planning Form. This may be the classroom teacher, an assistant teacher, a counselor, a specialist or a therapist. This synchronous learning may include sharing a screen in Google Classroom or Zoom to allow your child to participate in a lesson, engage in a discussion, review material or to share something new.
- Teacher Directed Lessons- This will include assignments prepared by the classroom team that can be completed online or hard copy if requested. This is known as asynchronous learning and may include watching a recorded video, an online lesson in Google Classroom or another resource. There will be an expectation for your child to engage in this learning according to an established timeline. Your child may be asked to submit their work for credit.
- Intervention and Therapy - Resources, strategies and interventions will be included in your child’s plan designed by therapists, counselors, reading specialists and others who will continue to support your child’s access and engagement in Remote Learning opportunities. Therapists will provide teletherapy when appropriate.
- Self-Directed Learning Experiences - Your child will have access to additional extended learning and enrichment activities to keep their mind active during this time. This may include a ‘menu’ of activities such as virtual field trips, classroom challenges, mindfulness strategies, physical exercise, videos to review, and many more. Your child can also use their time to learn about things they are curious about.
- Office Hours - In addition to daily outreach, there will be specific days and times when classroom teams are available to return calls or emails to promote ongoing and regular communication between TEC teachers, students and families. If you have an emergency please call 911, never wait for office hours to reach out to a counselor or teacher.
- IEPs – TEC will participate in virtual IEP meetings based on the your child’s home district’s practices.
- Confidentiality and Privacy - While TEC remains obligated to protect students’ confidentiality and privacy, remote learning does not allow TEC to control who is viewing a lesson and therefore parents/guardians and students should be aware that there is no expectation of privacy. Teachers and service providers will make a verbal disclaimer at the start of the lesson or service that there is no expectation of privacy.
We encourage you to stay connected with us, we are here to support you!
If you have any questions about your child's learning plan please contact his/her Principal:
TEC High School, Principal Deborah Caligaris
TEC Phoenix Academy, Principal Sheila Thomas
TEC Campus School, Director Meredith Faletra
Director of Student Services, Susan Donelan