1. What is the difference between a Privacy Pledge and a Data Privacy Agreement?
TEC’s Student Data Privacy Agreements are legally enforceable documents and vendors agree to compliance with with all applicable state privacy statutes, including the FERPA, PPRA, COPPA, IDEA, 603 C.M.R. 23.00, 603 CMR 28.00, and state specific laws.
2. What is “PII”?
3. What is a standard Data Privacy Agreement (DPA)?
4. Where can I learn more about protecting student data?
5. Where can I learn more about this topic?
The Education Privacy Resource Center site is a great resource: FERPA|Sherpa – named after the core federal law that governs education privacy – is the education privacy resource center website. FERPA|Sherpa is an initiative of the the Future of Privacy Forum. Answers to Some Common Questions about Student Data Privacy
6. Why do I need to join the TEC Student Data Privacy Alliance (SDPA) and not just the Student Data Privacy Consortium (SDPC)?
Our member districts launched the TEC SDPA because of the time, energy and expense required for each of them to contact every software vendor to negotiate a DPA.
TEC is a member of the SDPC and works on your behalf. We save your district time and money and accelerate the protection of your students’ data because we do all the work for you. When you join our alliance and upload your list of apps to us we send you a signature page for any DPAs we have already negotiated (over 600!) and contact other vendors on your behalf to negotiate any new DPAs.